Bunmi Oni, MON - A brief Profile
Bunmi Oni had a 29-year corporate career, the last eleven as CEO, in
Cadbury Nigeria Plc. He held various Board level executive roles across
many functions including Technical, Supply Chain, Human Resources,
Sales & Marketing and Corporate Planning; and in three countries. For
five years in his eleven-year tenure as CEO, he held concurrent
responsibility for the West Africa operations of the company, which also
had manufacturing presence in Ghana and Côte d’Ivoire. He held key
leadership roles both within the organisation and in the wider business community, and in 2005, was
voted Nigeria’s Most Respected CEO in a nation-wide survey of CEOs of major companies.
A strong proponent of public-private sector partnership, he was for four years Chairman of The
Nigerian Economic Summit Group, where he led various initiatives that helped kick-start the
economic reform process in Nigeria.
He has held significant leadership positions in various professional bodies and NGOs including:
* President, Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria;
* President, Food Beverage and Tobacco Employers’ Association;
* Chairman, Sight Savers International Nigeria Appeal, among many others
In his contribution to public service, Bunmi served at various times as:
* Chairman, Nigerian Export Promotion Council;
* Member, Nigerian Investment Promotion Council;
* Chairman, Steering Committee on Competition and Anti-trust Reform which produced the first
draft of Anti-trust legislation for Nigeria;
* Member UNESCO International Advisory Board for the Reform of Science, Technology and
Innovation Systems in Nigeria;
* Member, Private Sector Advisory Group of the Pan African Consultative Forum on Corporate
* Member, Governing Council of Redeemer’s University, Nigeria.
Oni was educated at the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University), graduating with a
BSc in 1976 and subsequently received executive education at the University of Michigan, USA, and
INSEAD France. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria,
Nigerian Institute of Management, and Institute of Directors.
He is currently a faculty member of the University of Lagos-NCMG College of Negotiation where
he teaches postgraduate courses in Negotiation Theory and Game Theory. He has supervised four
He provides bespoke Management Consulting services in the areas of his specialisation -
organisational design, strategy, and leadership development. Clients are mainly corporations at an
inflection point seeking renewed growth, or enterprises desiring to upscale or optimise their end-toend internal business processes for organisational effectiveness.
His first book, Path To Leadership (2019, United p.c. Publishers UK) will be published by mid 2020.
Oni was awarded the Nigerian National Honour of Member of the Order of the Niger, MON, in